call for a free consultation 212-300-5196



How Can I Prevent Him From Taking Things Out of Our Home?

When you make the decision to separate, you might worry that your spouse will take things out of your home that aren’t his or that haven’t been divided equally. It’s common for one person to move out of the home when you decide to separate, and it’s also common for the spouse to take his personal belongings, such as clothes and toiletries. However, there are more items in your home that have been shared, such as furniture and appliances. These are items that usually stay in the home unless your spouse’s name is attached to them and only the name of your spouse. If you jointly own these items and there is some type of proof that you can give to the court to show that your name is attached to the property as well, then the court will likely make a decision as to what happens to the property.

One way that you can prevent him from taking things out of your home is to have a police officer present when he leaves. The officer will ensure that the departure is civil and that there are no belongings taken from the home that shouldn’t be taken. If there are any questions or concerns as to what your spouse should take, then it can be settled in court. Any documents that you have pertaining to the items in your home that he claims to have ownership to should be taken to your attorney and presented to the court when you have your divorce hearing. If you want to keep something that you know is that of your spouse, then you would need his permission to keep it as he would need your permission to keep something that is clearly yours.

When your spouse leaves your home, you can have a friend or family member come to your home who does not have any stake in the final decision. This person can then monitor the situation so that he only leaves with items that are his at the time. Sometimes, a third party who knows both parties equally can offer advice when you’re trying to sort out possessions and what should be taken. A judge will make the final decision as to what he can take from the home if you are unable to come to an agreement without involving the court. The decision will often be in writing so that you clearly know what he is allowed to take with him. If he tries to take more than what is ordered, then you can contact a police officer who can come to the home to prevent him from taking your belongings.

If you can communicate with him in a sensible manner, then you might be able to come to a conclusion as to who gets each large piece of furniture in the home and how the smaller items will be separated. An option would be to sell the items that you don’t want and divide the money received from the sale equally. Some of the things that could be removed from the home, divided, or sold include furniture, artwork, electronics, and appliances. If the home is in your name only, then he typically has to have permission to remove items from the home even if they are his. If you’re unable to come to any conclusion about the items that are in the home, then you can each approach the judge to talk about what you each want to keep. The judge would then look at who owns the property and who would benefit from keeping the property before making a decision.

There are a few belongings that he can take that aren’t considered attached to the home, such as jewelry that is clearly his or toiletries. Other items include collections that he has kept, movies that are his, and supplies that are needed for work. In the event that your spouse tries to sell items without your knowledge or permission, then you can speak with an attorney about getting those items back or keeping him from taking them from the home. The best option for everyone involved would be to make an arrangement with a legal representative who can be at your home on a specified day so that your spouse can gather the items that are his and so that you can change the lock on the door to prevent him from entering in the future.

Request Free Consultation

Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.